Danish West Indies (U.S. Virgin Islands)
This Internet site is to help genealogists research Danish West Indies (now the U.S. Virgin Islands) sources. Here you will find:
- Resource Guide
- Chancery Records & Index to Wills 1671-1848
- St. Thomas & St. John, Index to Probate Records 1717-1814
- 1722 Inhabitants of St. John
- Some Other Books and Resources
Note: If others wish to add records or extracts of records for either of the three islands or any estate on the island, we will add buttons for these places on the left. Additional Danish West Indies links can be found by clicking on the button at the top.
Also for future projects, the following have started but not finished. Perhaps with others help or financing these projects could eventually be completed:
- Translation of the early Iverson journals and documents that cover the first twenty years or so of the colonies history. Includes the original land grant descriptions to the first colonists and many other interesting tidbits.
- Translation of Christian Martfelds Collection which includes six hand-written manuscript volumes giving a history of the islands up to that time (1760s). He gives a description and origin of the names of each of the bays and islands around St. John & St. Thomas, a history and description of each of the plantations, and detailed social history all different aspects of the settlement, climate, horticulture, merchandizing, etc.
- Perhaps eventually a translation of the Gamle Tropicana series or Knox's history. One of the Gamle Tropicana volumes has already been translated (the one on the Guineas coast).